Selecting Voice

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:10 AM
I right clicked the option to select voice, but the only voice available is the weird sounding one called Microsoft Sam.  Sounds like Bill Gates just waking up in the morning. :-)

Is there an option to load in something more understandable. 

Alan:   ataplow@vtlink.net
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2008 at 11:22 AM
Hi Alan,
Sam is indeed not very pleasant :)
If you have other voices installed on your computer you should be able to select them.
However, if you do have other voices installed but can't see them in the list, this means that they are SAPI4 voices. The next version of ClipSpeak will support SAPI4 voices as well.

Daniel
May 9, 2010 at 6:52 PM
I agree with Alan; The Microsoft Sam voice is terrible. But there are still no instructions for use non-techie's out here. Where do we get new voices; preferably free? How do you install them? In the documentation section, some sites are listed; however these sites want to sell me something ... I don't want to buy anything! And still, even if I bought something, I don't know how to install a new voice. Help!
Coordinator
May 17, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Unfortunately I can't help you much. As for installing voices into ClipSpeak there are no special instructions; Just follow the instructions that came with the voice to install it, and ClipSpeak will recognise it automatically.

Unfortunately, if you want a better voice than eSpeak, Sam or even Anna (which is in Vista and 7, and is quite good), you'll have to look at the non-free alternatives. The magic word is SAPI5-compliant; if the voice is that, ClipSpeak will pick it up automatically.